txn performance penalty

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Fri Dec 3 00:51:21 CET 2004

On 20041202 (Thu) at 2246:34 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:

> > (2) having changed notebooks since then, I can no longer reproduce
> > these ridiculous times

> Slow seek on a full disk, perhaps with scattered free space and
> scattered files, is a real performance killer. Fresh installs on disks
> with plenty of space are faster.

Das leuchtet mir ein.  The fragmentation wasn't too bad overall, but
the disk was getting very full and new writes were probably breaking
up.  The new notebook has 80G instead of 30 and of course there's very
little frag yet.

(It was only a couple of decades ago that 10Mb was a truly generous
hard disk size... ;)

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |