status and a new snapshot release?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Nov 30 03:57:38 CET 2004

David,

we've fixed some bugs (not all that we know though, Evgeniy's
performance killer is around, RFC-2047 is still recursive, we have no
_decent_ backup script or recovery documentation), polished some
documentation since 0.93.1 and added/fixed convenience scripts and
helper features to aid BDB upgrades.

We're nearing three weeks since 0.93.1, how about 0.93.2 as interim
release to share the fixes we already have with our users? 0.93.2
wouldn't yet be ready to become the next stable release, but a little
step forward at any rate.

The input for the earlier 0.93.X versions has proved valuable, and ideas
for further work is adding backup helpers to bogoutil around the sample
in BerkeleyDB.4.2/docs/ref/transapp/archival.html, perhaps use
db_archive functionality to gather databases for semi-automatic
resizing, and we can know where else the shoe pinches with current
releases, and if anyone still has BDB 3.0 in use... - particularly
multiple wordlists may be a sore spot; perhaps we could run coverage
analysis and add some self-checks for newer code.

The current state of CVS compiles fine and passes all self-checks on
SuSE Linux 9.1 i586 with DB 3.1 to 4.3; DB 3.1 and 4.2 with transactions
disabled, QDBM, TDB; FreeBSD 4.10 i386 with DB 4.1 and 4.2 (I didn't
bother to test other versions, the machine is a lowly AMD K6-2/300) and
Solaris 8/SPARC64 with DB 3.3 and 4.1, 32 and 64 bit (also some older
gear, UltraIIi/400).

Looking forward to your reply,