QDBM and transactions

Stefan Bellon sbellon at sbellon.de
Fri Oct 29 22:35:49 CEST 2004

Matthias Andree wrote:
> Stefan Bellon schrieb am 2004-10-29:

> > I just replaced Depot API with Villa API in datastore_qdbm.c but
> > not including transactions. I noticed that Villa API is _a lot_
> > faster than Depot API (that's because it uses B+ trees in order to
> > store the data rather than a hash table). So even if a complete
> > transactional layer for QDBM is not worthwile, _if_ we keep QDBM as
> > database backend at all, it might be still nice switching from
> > Depot to Villa because of the speedup.

> I don't mind. Does this mean the switch to B+ trees makes the "old"
> data bases unreadable?

Yes. Although it is pretty trivial to migrate if you know in advance:

$ bogoutil.old -d wordlist.db > wordlist
$ bogoutil.new -l wordlist.db < wordlist

> If so, we'd better include this for 0.93.0, which is our
> "incompatible changes galore" release.

Yes, that's true. I'd just like to receive an answer from Mikio
concerning one thing with Villa. When did you want to release 0.93.0?

--
Stefan Bellon