Can bogofilter run by multiprocess at the same time

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Oct 12 14:35:57 CEST 2004

.™.æ.».Â’. <john.chen at net263.com> writes:

> The folloing code can produce a deadlock in bogofilter :

Does it produce an actual deadlock or just make slow progress?

> uname -a :
> Linux xmail 2.4.2-2smp #1 SMP Sun Apr 8 20:21:34 EDT 2001 i686 unknown
> gcc -v :
> gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-81)
>

> My question is: Can bogofilter run by multiprocess at the same time?

Yes, it can.

I have fixed some bugs in the locking implementation of the TXN variant
but these have apparently not had any practical impact except running
recovery a bit more often...

I have run your test program on Solaris 8 afterwards (with the
alternative pthreads implementation) without seeing any deadlocks.

Note that older glibc (2.1.X, 2.2.3 and older) are broken in that their
popen isn't thread-safe - and you may have this very problem as you're
running a very old distribution of which I'd think it has glibc 2.1.

Which BerkeleyDB version BTW?

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)