Transactional Code Completed! 0.92.6+txn2.0 released

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Wed Sep 1 15:50:16 CEST 2004

From: "David Relson" <relson at osagesoftware.com>
> What happens the next time something unforeseen happens?  What if the
> power goes out?  What if the kernel crashes?  If bogofilter has the
> database open with write access you could have a problem...

Power out?  UPS.  Generator.  What are hosting facilities for, after all?
But, anyway, isn't this considered a hardware failure?  A power failure
would seem to be worse than any other kind of hardware failure.

Kernel crash?  That hasn't happened in a long, long, long, long time.

But what if my RAM goes bad... that happens fairly often (every year or two
on at least one of my machines)... or bad sectors on my harddrive... all too
often... or an over-heated case... happened on occasion...  That's my
question.  Matthias qualifed the usefulness of the transactional code with
the assumption that your "hardware works well".  What if it doesn't?  I just
want more specifics on what hardware needs to work well and what constitutes
working well.

In what scenario is the transactional code not going to be rock solid?
Thanks.

Tom