We should be logging the Message-ID.

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Jul 1 14:15:05 CEST 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:39:59 +0200
Matthias Andree wrote:

> David,
>
> I'm missing Message-ID logging to trace messages in the logs.
>
> Where would I best add code to break out the Message-ID and store it
> away for later use?

Matthias,

Grep the code for MSGADDR and you'll find the spots where the message
address is handled.  If memory serves, that will find lexer_v3.l,
token.c, and lexer.h.  format.c is also relevant.

The complex bit is likely the lexer_v3.l change for the message-id.  Of
course, it may be very easy as there _is_ a rule for discarding ids.

We should also discuss the formatting character.  I'm unhappy with my
choice of 'I', think it was bad, and should be changed.  Here are two
ideas:

  '%a' for message's ip address
  '%i' for message-id

or:

  '%A' for message's ip address
  '%I' for message-id

My preference is for upper-case as it distinguishes bogofilter's
formatting characters from C's printf() formatting characters.

Regards,