[bugs]database corruption problem

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Jun 19 16:07:30 CEST 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:53:22 +0200
Matthias Andree wrote:

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
>
> > Below is a small test script, t.lock, and the output of running it
> > against versions 0.90.0, 0.91.0, 0.91.1, 0.91.2, and 0.91.3.  It
> > shows quite clearly that 0.91.1 had a problem which is particular to
> > that one release.
> >
> > for N in `seq 1 5` ; do
> >     bogofilter $OPTS -u -I tests/inputs/spam.mbx &
> > done
>
> I fear this won't catch all problems although it showed some...

I agree.  After the "err 17" problem (below) was reported, it took some
experimentation to reproduce.  "t.lock" turned out to be a reliable way
to reproduce the "err 17" problem, hence has been useful.

bogofilter: (db) DB->open(./wordlist.db) - actually ./wordlist.db
bogohome: . -, err: 17, File exists
Can't open file 'wordlist.db' in directory '.'.

> Now, if the lockfile problem is fixed, you'd still be advised to go
> without procmail locallockfile for bogofilter's locking is more
> efficient than procmail's. :-)

Due to locking problems of many moons past, I have an hourly cronjob
that copies wordlist.db, runs db_verify, and renames the copy as
wordlist.BAD or wordlist.OK (as appropriate).  This gives me a recent
backup in case anything goes wrong.

I've made the procmail locking change.  The experiment has begun :-)