dsh_t vs dbh_t

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jun 8 00:25:27 CEST 2004

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004, David Relson wrote:

> .WORDLIST_VERSION is turning out to be a pain in the a**.  The database
> open/create code is intricate and tricky and I don't grok it.  (Very
> possibly, I'm just looking at it from the wrong point of view and don't
> understand it.)

The db_open stuff is euhm winding, yes. It has collected a lot of
ugly code to deal with

- different Berkeley DB versions (AFAIR it supports anything from 3.2
  onwards, the version stuff)
- different OS feature sets (notably mmap, DB_NOMMAP, in the retry stuff)
- race conditions with other bogo{filter,util} processes (2nd function
  of the retry stuff)

I've added some documentation /* comments */ on the TXN branch's
datastore_db.c

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95