Transactional code ready for public non-production test.

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Mar 17 16:58:29 CET 2004

Hello,

I have finished the preliminary implementation of the Berkeley DB
migration towards the Transactional Data Store.

I have tested BerkeleyDB versions 3.2, 3.3, 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 on Linux,
they all pass "make check".

Using the Berkeley DB Transactional Data Store enables unique features
when bogofilter is using Berkeley DB as database back end (which is the
default unless you use the --with-database= option at ./configure time)
and will be the recommended data store: bogofilter will be robust
against system and application crashes, provided that the hardware
doesn't spoil our efforts.

To test drive the new code, check out the "branch-db-txn" branch from
SourceForge (that is, add -r branch-db-txn to your cvs checkout or cvs
update command line) and compile it. Do not yet install it.

Make a backup or at least a dump of your current data base just to be
sure, in case something goes wrong. A data base that was used as
Transactional Data Store cannot be used by non-transactional code such
as the current bogofilter releases.

After that, you can install and play with the new code.

If you don't want to use the code for regular use, you can configure it
with a different --prefix than you're using for production and run all
bogofilter tests with -d /some/dir - check the documentation for
details.

Feedback, comments, bug reports, will be appreciated.

Have fun,