PATCH: fix MAP_FAILED and __attribute__ parse error issues

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 00:31:56 CET 2004

Apparently there's now also http://www.gnuarch.org/

> > http://subversion.tigris.org/
> > http://www.opencm.org/
> > http://users.footprints.net/~kaz/mcvs.html
>
> Ah!  gnu-arch - much easier to google :-)

BitKeeper (www.bitkeeper.com, www.bitmover.com) is commercial and
production ready, avilable for all major platforms, supports distributed
repositories, has powerful merge and consistency check functions. Free
licenses are available when you consent to an open logging policy and
you and your employer do not develop products that compete with BK. If
you do, you need to by a BK/Pro license that does not have these
restrictions. (Single-user repositories up to 1,000 files need not use
logging, but aren't distributed.) Linux 2.4 and 2.6 trees, e2fsprogs and
NTP are held in BK repositories. Very smooth although some less often
used functions have quirks. The standard functions are very robust,
reporting is quite flexible. I happen to maintain lk-changelog (AKA
shortlog), the Perl script that postprocesses and reorders BK logs
(currently tied to Linux Kernel still).

GNU Arch is said to be a good distributed CMS, haven't yet used it in
production, but some people are quite fond of it. I have been
recommended GNU Arch several times and am certainly going to try it.
It's probably only that some project I like needs to switch to GNU Arch
and thus prod me that way. (It was that way with my coming to BitKeeper.)

Subversion uses a central repository and requires a hefty server,
usually Apache, and can use WebDAV.

MCVS works nicely on small scale and also uses existing CVS
infrastructure: it can work off regular CVS servers, no
server-side/repository installation necessary, it tracks renames and
the like but it uses GNU Common Lisp (http://clisp.cons.org/) as
programming language which has seen portability issues with the advent
of GNU CC 3.X. Once you've got it working (which may require building
GCC first, then CL), it's smooth. I don't use it in production.

There's Perforce which _appears_ to be centralized server (I may be wrong
here) and gives free licenses for open source development. You must
grant Perforce read-only access to the server,  among other conditions -
they need to approve of the license unless it is GPL or LPGL, and you
need to renew the license once a year.

There's also Vesta, an LGPL'd system from DEC (the Alpha guys). I don't
know the details, I heard it was less portable than other systems.
http://www.vestasys.org/

OpenCM apparently hasn't seen any work done since last June, and it's
alpha and not complete.