Two bogoutil suggestions

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Jan 4 19:03:11 CET 2004

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:45:16 +0100
Stefan Bellon <sbellon at sbellon.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've got two suggestions to make concerning bogoutil:
>
> 1) I'd like the wordlist/db argument to be optional. If none is given,
>    then take the wordlist/db that bogofilter normally uses.

At present, some bogoutil options require a directory and others require
a filename.  This is due to legacy code to support separate wordlists,
where the directory name is enough to determine the database name.
Since 0.17.0 will no longer support separate wordlists, my plan had been
to allow either directory or filename for these options.

Bogoutil _could_ search out the wordlist directory (using bogofilter's
code).  I'm concerned that this would make it too easy to misuse
bogoutil and muck up the database.   Requiring the argument provides
_some_ time to get the command right and not hurt yourself.

What do people think of this idea?

> 2) Change the logic for the maintenance operations from OR to AND. At
>    present you cannot do "expire all singletons that are older than
>    one week" because with "-c 1 -a 8" you get "expire all singletons
>    and all tokens older than one week". I don't think this is what
>    you'd expect. And still, of you want the OR logic, you can get this
>    by two runs of bogoutil.
>
> Any comments?

Could be done.  As you point out, ORs could still be done -- which is
very good.

Are y'all using the maintenance operations?  What do y'all think is
best?