RPM: _build_exceptions

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Dec 31 15:31:36 CET 2003

G'day,

Further experimentation and reading of code shows that "%define
_build_exceptions DOODAA" is of limited use.  Value DOODAA is passed by
/usr/lib/rpms/macros to /usr/lib/rpms/filter.sh where it is used in
"grep -v ...".  This usage prevents passing in a list of exceptions, or
a regexp.  However using "perl" as the value removes the unwanted
dependencies.

Note: "_build_exceptions" and "filter.sh" appear to be Mandrake
specific.  As Gyepi points out, rpm will ignore unrecognized %define
variables, so that's OK.  Also, since _I_ am the primary RPM builder,
the primary need is for a spec file that allows me to build RPMs for
others to use.   People building RPMs for specific distributions are
using their own spec files.

My latest build has the following dependencies:

bogofilter-static-0.15.13.cvs-2.i586.rpm
    /bin/sh
    /bin/sh
    rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
    rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
    bash

bogofilter-0.15.13.cvs-2.i586.rpm
    rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
    rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
    bash
    libc.so.6
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
    libdb-4.1.so
    libgslcblas.so.0
    libgsl.so.0
    libm.so.6
    libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)

I think all that needs doing is change from libdb-4.1 to libdb-3.3, or
am I missing something?