config.cache

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Dec 16 15:27:30 CET 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, David Relson wrote:

> Earlier today config.cache was mentioned in a message.  I checked my
> bogofilter directory and didn't find one.  In fact I don't have one in
> any of my many, older version related directories.
>
> A google search tells me that as of version 2.52, the default behavior
> of configure is to _not_ create config.cache.  Do we want to change
> this?  Do we care?  FWIW,  "configure -C" will cause it to be generated.

I do care and test, because it reduces the turnaround times, and because
it's smooth, there is nothing to be said, except this: On Solaris 8 I
sometimes have bogus lines ($' in them) in config.cache that I remove
before ./config.status --recheck, but I haven't been able to chase this
down. All other systems are fine without any manual intervention.

OTOH, rm -f config.cache is safe, "-f" makes "rm" ignore "ENOENT"
conditions, so I'll just list it in case someone has used -C. (-: