cvs segfaulting

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Sep 8 22:06:02 CEST 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:51:20 -0400
Gyepi SAM <gyepi at praxis-sw.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 02:29:52PM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> > To answer the obvious question, no I haven't changed anything
> > relevant. FWIW, ~/.cvsrc is almost a year old (Oct 28 2002).
> > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > 0x40024fff in _tr_tally () from /lib/libz.so.1
>
> I suspect that something *has* changed, but not with cvs.
> On my redhat machines, /usr/lib/libz.so.1 belong to the zlib rpms.
> verify that the same is true on your system:
>
>   # rpm -qf /lib/libz.so.1
>
> have you changed zlib recently?
>
>   # rpm -qi zlib
>
> What version are you using?
> version 1.1.3 has a double-free vulnerability that could crash zlib.
> Nonetheless, I am using that version (with cvs compression turned on)
> and have had no crashes.
>
> libz depends on libc and ld-linux. Have either of those changed? You'd
> know if they have!
>
> -Gyepi

Hi Gyepi,

<denial>
All was working fine at 8:00 this morning.  Now it's not. In between, I
was 40 miles away and I haven't done anything between except send email,
modify bogofilter source using emacs, and similar mundane tasks.  For
sure, I've not been installing rpms.
</denial>

Mostly, I'm trying to determine if SourceForge has changed anything,
perhaps installed a new version of cvs or zlib ...

To answer your questions:

[relson at osage doc]$ rpm -qf /lib/libz.so.1
zlib1-1.1.4-5.1mdk

[relson at osage doc]$ rpm -qi zlib1
Name        : zlib1                        Relocations: (not
relocateable)
Version     : 1.1.4                             Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 5.1mdk                        Build Date: Fri 14 Mar 2003
12:39:47 PM EST
Install date: Thu 20 Mar 2003 06:14:45 PM EST      Build Host:
updates.mandrakesoft.com
Group       : System/Libraries              Source RPM:
zlib-1.1.4-5.1mdk.src.rpm
Size        : 63409                            License: BSD
Packager    : Guillaume Cottenceau <gc at mandrakesoft.com>
URL         : http://www.gzip.org/zlib/
Summary     : The zlib compression and decompression library
Description :
The zlib compression library provides in-memory compression and
decompression functions, including integrity checks of the uncompressed
data.  This version of the library supports only one compression method
(deflation), but other algorithms may be added later, which will have
the same stream interface.  The zlib library is used by many different
system programs.

I'm in process of rebuilding from source and will see how that affects
the situation.