Developer's Challenge (3)

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Sep 5 15:20:04 CEST 2003

Greetings,

Attached is challenge.3.tgz which is a much simplified bogolexer.  It
has a subset of bogofilter's lexer, doesn't care about lots of the
complexities of processing email, but does have minimal mime support,
base64, and quoted-printable decoding abilities.  The executable works
fine so long as the message body isn't encoded.  If the message body is
base64 or qp encoded, the program fails to decode the first line of the
body.  This is the same problem that bogofilter has and (currently) is
preventing the use of the flex parser for unfolding header lines.  Once
this problem is solved, I expect I'll be able to release
bogofilter-0.15.2.

To run the test, create a testbed directory, unpack the tarball, and run
script "test.sh".  The script will compile the source code and build the
executable.  The executable will then be run for all the msg.?.txt files
and the new outputs will be compared to saved (correct) results.  Two
messages have problems - msg.b.txt which is the base64 test and
msg.q.txt which is the quoted-printable test.

Whoever can fix the problem gets 1000 points of credit and honorable
mention in the 0.15.2 release notes.  (Michael O'Reilly has already
earned points and credit for solving the first challenge).

David