RFC-2047 & encoded QP text

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Jul 27 21:05:08 CEST 2003

At 01:41 PM 7/27/03, Matthias Andree wrote:
>David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
>
> > So, the encoded-text can be anything except space and question mark.
>
>There is some software still in use that breaks RFC-2047 encoding (and
>emits SPACE characters, by breaking long RFC-2047 tokens), but we should
>avoid the question mark in any case, so your suggestion that I'm quoting
>below looks like the best compromise we can make to me. Thanks for doing
>it.
>
> > Anyhow, I've changed the definition to match RFC-2047's encoded-text, i.e.:
> >
> > QP  [^[:blank]\?]+

Matthias,

The "\?" is not only standards compliant but necessary.  Junior has email
that kills bogofilter without it because the lexer keeps on reading an
encoded attachment and runs out of buffer space.  With the "\?", the lexer
works much better.

Regarding spaces, if necessary we could try something like "[^\t\r\n\?]"
and see what happens.  Let's wait until there's a clear need.