bogofilter's exit codes

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Jul 26 00:40:45 CEST 2003

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Currently bogofilter (without any command line options) exits with codes:
>
> 0 - for spam
> 1 - for ham
> 2 - for error
>
> To make procmail happy there is also the -E option with with bogofilter exits:
>
> 0 if O.K., i.e. if spam or ham
> 2 if error
>
> It has been suggested that the exit codes should be:
>
> 0 - for spam
> 1 - for ham
> 2 - for unsure
> 3 - for error
>
> I'm thinking of making the change for the next release, i.e. version 0.14.1?
>
> All in favor say "Yeah".
> All opposed say "Nay".

Nay. We shouldn't change the meaning of "2", because that's a code
that dates back to the early versions. We can add new exit codes, or we
can instead define an extensible yet easily parsed format so that people
can stuff their mails into bogofilter using shell backticks.

STATE=`bogofilter -O <mail`

or something.