HEADS-UP: dcdflib migration to GSL.

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Jul 20 17:13:26 CEST 2003

Greg Louis <glouis at dynamicro.on.ca> writes:

[GSL]
> I had assumed we wouldn't want to force that rather bulky library on
> folks who don't do any other numerical analysis type stuff, but I
> didn't quite have the nerve to try to pull out the code we'd need in
> bogofilter.

We'd need the GSL config.h file and these files (I'm using QAG
integration).

err/error.c
err/stream.c
integration/qag.c
integration/qk.c
integration/qk15.c
integration/qk21.c
integration/qk31.c
integration/qk41.c
integration/qk51.c
integration/qk61.c
integration/workspace.c
randist/chisq.c
randist/gamma.c
rng/mt.c
rng/rng.c
specfunc/elementary.c
specfunc/exp.c
specfunc/gamma.c
specfunc/log.c
specfunc/psi.c
specfunc/trig.c
specfunc/zeta.c
sys/coerce.c
sys/fdiv.c
sys/infnan.c

So we can just as well link the whole GSL in ;-)

Numerical Recipes in C has quite compact stuff for the \chi^2
(cumulative) distribution function, but their code "cannot be
redistributed", and apparently they want me to buy a license to use that
code (which - I think - isn't possible because it equals limiting the
consumer's rights after the purchase, such clauses are automatically
void by German debt legislation, if it's at all possible to claim
copyrights for implementing an algorithm found many decades ago by a
mathematician.)

I am currently looking through web pages, libraries, maths books and try
to find some replacement that is less bulky than GSL and still has a
clear license that we can use.