Q: removing timestamps

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Jun 5 02:07:40 CEST 2003

At 07:25 PM 6/4/03, Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:

>Quick question, hopefully.
>
>Is there an option or #DEFINE or etc that would remove the inclusion of
>timestamps in the .db files?
>
>If not, could someone point me to the files that define this?  It may not
>make much difference, but since we don't use the timestamps, I am curious
>to see what difference it would make.
>
>Thanks.

Hi Malcolm,

There are two ways to turn them off.  Bogofilter and bogoutil have the '-y
date' command line switch to set a date.  The date format is the 8 digit
standard YYYYMMDD and a value of 0 is interpreted as "suppress
dates".  Alternatively in your bogofilter.cf file you can add
"datestamp_tokens=no".

My recollection is that BerkeleyDB uses approx 32 bytes for storing the
token name (though it varies since token lengths vary) plus 4 bytes for
each count (spam or good) plus 4 more bytes for the date.  Turning off
dates will save _some_ space.