RPM Upgrade

Shawn Michael blkmajik at monkeyspunk.net
Sat May 24 06:17:18 CEST 2003

One way to compile against a specific version of a library is to play with
the .so links, as I believe these are what ld uses when doing dynamic linking.

Something like

rm /usr/lib/libc.so
ln -s /lib/libglibc-2.2.5.so /usr/lib/libc.so

You may also have to play with /usr/lib/libm.so just to try to keep the
dependancies for glibc-2.3 out of the picture.

For the most part the only thing I seem to recall .so files being used for
was for ld (and of course explicit calls using dlopen()).  I think doing this
rpm *may* use the correct dependancies.

<snip>