ignore

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri May 9 23:04:26 CEST 2003

Adrian Otto <aotto at aotto.com> writes:

> ignore this message, testing new Reply-To: header

Adrian, this step needs to be reversed.

Adding a Reply-To: header paternalises list subscribers and hijacks
their private mail to the list, which causes embarrassment and annoyed
users, deprived of the chance to send mail to the poster rather than the
list, just to cater for some idiots who cannot be bothered to use and
configure a mail software that _supports_ mailing lists.

Technically, I don't see valid reasons in favour of a Reply-To
header. There are minimum requirements to a mailer, that some common
mailers don't meet, but there are good alternatives.

Morally, we are developing a tool that strives to give users back the
control over their mailboxes, and taking control away from the user on
the list just doesn't fit this picture.

Legally, you're changing the terms of the list, by demanding that users
always reply to the list. You need their permission and offer them due
time to unsubscribe.

Socially, forcing replies back to the list isn't always adequate, it
will cause more off-topic posts on lists because the user-to-user
communication is impaired.

More: <URL:http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html>
      <URL:http://marc.merlins.org/perso/listreplyto.txt>