bogofilter does not compile with external BerkeleyDB

Marek Kowal marek.kowal at portal.onet.pl
Wed Apr 23 11:56:03 CEST 2003

Hi there,

I've downloaded bogofilter from CVS (just serveral minutes ago). It does
require BerkeleyDB v3+ to operate, so I've installed it in my private home
directory:

db-4.1.25.NC$ ./configure --prefix=/home/cnp/usr

I've checked it, it sure is installed there:

$ ls /home/cnp/usr/lib/
libdb-4.1.a  libdb-4.1.la  libdb-4.1.so  libdb-4.so  libdb.a  libdb.so

Unfortunately, the ./configure phase of bogofilter fails:

./configure --prefix=/home/cnp/usr/ --with-db=/home/cnp/usr
(...)
checking for library providing db_create... -ldb
checking if a program can be linked against BerkeleyDB and run... no
configure: error: Cannot run a program linked against libdb.
Did you adjust your library search path to include your libdb?

I've found in apropriate sources of configure.ac (line 124):

dnl check if run-time link works
dnl XXX FIXME: try -rpath and -R with the library path component.

It looks like the FIXME needs to be fixed ;-)

Please, help me with this issue. I don't know m4 myself well enough to play
with it on my own.

Cheers,
Marek.