bulk_mode patch - version 2

Marek Kowal marek.kowal at portal.onet.pl
Wed Apr 16 17:45:57 CEST 2003

Dear David and others,

> Here's version 2 of the bulkmode patch.  I've added a number of
> initialization/reset functions and calls to them.

I've just just found on the web the patch you have described. I've also
signed up for the bogofilter-dev list immediately - if I had done it
earlier, I would get to know about the patch already 2 days ago ;-) Haven't
tested the patch yet (I'll do so in a minute), but first few quick
questions:

1. just to make sure: with the "-b" option, file names are read from the
STDIN, the bogofilter opens them one-by-one, and on the STDOUT there goes
just the "bogosity" line, in the same order, right?

2. how do you open the files? is it with the mmap()? (I would love to hear
so!)

3. what is the chance, that the patch will go to the official release, so
that the functionality is mantained in future versions? I would like to rely
my software on that option, but then, I am affraid that future versions will
not likely match the patch... I've seen the previous post from Matthias, who
seems reluctant to put this to production - just let me state that this
option is very userful! It will allow for seamless integration of
mass-production systems with existing MTAs without forking new process for
each new mail - a very high price to pay on systems that sometimes process
thousands of mails per minute.

Please, let me know, what you think.

Cheers,
Marek.