bogofilter/bogoutil concurrency crash?

Jim Correia jim.correia at pobox.com
Mon Apr 7 02:10:09 CEST 2003

Hi,

I just build the latest stable release of bogofilter (0.11.1.3) on Mac
OS X with Berkeley DB 4.1.25.

Then I trained it with a bunch of messages (1135 spam, 16546 good).

While I was training it, I ran into a crash. I was running a script
which was doing

bogofilter -n -I mbox

and while that was running in one terminal, I was using bogoutil in
another, and bogofilter in the 1st died.

Command:    bogofilter
PID:        27945

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xdbdbdbd8

Thread 0 Crashed:
  #0   0xdbdbdbd8 in 0xdbdbdbd8
  #1   0x0000a2f4 in db_getvalue (datastore_db.c:240)
  #2   0x00006704 in open_wordlists (wordlists.c:157)
  #3   0x00002c0c in main (main.c:80)
  #4   0x00002788 in _start (crt.c:267)
  #5   0x00002608 in start

I can reproduce this at will by doing the following:

In one terminal execute

bogoutil -d goodlist.db | more

leave that running, and in another do

bogofilter -p

bogofilter dies in the way described.

Is anyone aware of the bug? (I'm not familiar with the source or
Berkeley db, but I can try to debug the problem given pointers.)

I was about to put bogofilter into production use in my .procmailrc

Should I be concerned about this problem and hold off? (I didn't seem
to be able to recreate the crash with 2 bogofilters, but definitely
with a bogofilter and a bogoutil running.)

Jim