0.11.1 debian failures

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Mar 10 01:07:35 CET 2003

At 06:25 PM 3/9/03, Matthias Andree wrote:

... [snip] ...

>However, I expect one or more obstacles in our way, and it would require
>some work of Clint's, to patch the code and a gdb dependency into the
>debian package.
>
>Any other gdb output we would want?

Matthias,

Given that S390's with Debian aren't readily available and knowing Clint's
interest in bogofilter, I think it reasonable to suggest dealing with a
script and core file.  The core file and the bogofilter executable aren't
enough for us without an S390 to run gdb.  I had suggested an alternative
approach to him, i.e. that he run bogofilter under gdb and get the stack
backtrace when bogofilter blows up.

Since the problem shows up in a locking test, the odds are that it relates
to the locking code.  An alternative approach would to create a series of
small programs that test different parts of the locking code.  Running the
tests would reveal what's wrong.  Of course, it's guess work to generate
the right set of small programs and it might be a significant amount of
trouble.  Notice I call this an "alternative approach".  I'm not sure
whether it's a good idea or not.  FWIW, I'm hoping he can run bogofilter
with gdb and get a stack backtrace.