What has become of buff and word and fgetsl?

Nick Simicich njs at scifi.squawk.com
Tue Feb 25 16:47:04 CET 2003

At 08:52 PM 2003-02-24 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
>The former xfgets code used to append data to the buffer (I don't see
>where that's used) and return the amount of octets read. I have changed
>the current xfgets code to stomp over whatever is left in the buffer
>from a previous call. This passes "make check", so I'll commit right
>away, without further questions. I've now fixed the callee. Anything
>else will have to be fix in the callers.

I *think* that the buffer passed to yyinput or whatever is actually not at
the beginning.  There is a case where the buffer is to be appended to when
text is put off and then bubbled back up.  This is where I have been
tracing for the past two days.

The buffer as passed by lex is some offset from the actual buffer.  I have
no idea if there used to be a need to know where in the buffer you were,
but lex figures where in the buffer it needs the next input.

--
SPAM: Trademark for spiced, chopped ham manufactured by Hormel.
spam: Unsolicited, Bulk E-mail, where e-mail can be interpreted generally