Release 1.0 [was: version numbering]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Feb 6 21:18:39 CET 2003

At 02:36 PM 2/6/03, Clint Adams wrote:

> > All interested parties are invited to join in the discussion ...
>
>Are there criteria for a 1.0 release?

About a month ago, a thread named "source file organization" got into the
subject.  At the time, we had a lot of pending changes (database
maintenance, mime processing, etc) and they happened to address much of
what was on the TODO list.  I suggested that the next release be the 1.0
release.  Here's a portion of Matthias' well thought out response:

 > Technically, yes. Psychologically, people expect a particularly stable
 > version to be named 1.0.0. Therefore, I vote for 0.10.0 for a while
 > (like a month), I expect we need some bug fixes, and we can then promote
 > 0.10.4 to 1.0.0 -- and we might want to leave the 1.0.0 release to the
 > project founder, Eric S. Raymond.

As it turned out, 0.10.0 went through a number of bugfixes before achieving
reasonable stability and becoming the new stable release, also known as
0.10.2.  Since it was released early this week several issues have been
encountered and patched.  We also identified a slowdown with the BerkeleyDB
which at first appeared to be a file system problem.  There may _be_ a fs
problem, but we discovered that increasing the BDB cache size was a
reasonable solution.  A later experiment shows that if bogofilter sorts its
tokens before accessing the wordlist the overall processing time goes down
as does the database size.

... looks like I'm beginning to ramble ...

To make a long story short, there'll likely be some minor releases (0.10.3,
0.10.4, etc) over the next few weeks.  Given a major new feature there will
be a 0.11 series.  And, to return to Matthias' thoughts, the next highly
stable version of bogofilter will likely be promoted to 1.0.0.