version numbering

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Feb 5 02:11:06 CET 2003

At 07:40 PM 2/4/03, Matthias Andree wrote:

>Let's check if we agree on this:
>
>1. bugfix releases without features will be named 0.10.3, 0.10.4, ...
>2. the next stable release will be 0.11.n
>
>If so, I can see that we could bump the number on the main trunk (head
>version) to 0.11.0, name the betas 0.11.1.x and 0.11.2 for the next
>stable release that brings new features.
>
>Does that sound reasonable to you?

I don't agree.  We're presently at 0.10.2 and there are two outstanding
patches for fairly minor problems.  Until we have a new major feature,
there will be 0.10.2.x bugfix release(s).  As new (minor) features are
added, the version should bump up to 0.10.3, then 0.10.4, etc.  New major
features will take us to 0.11.0, 0.12.0, etc.  This is how I think versions
should be numbered.

"Stable" is a separate matter.  At any given time bogofilter has a stable
version.  Likely there is also a bugfix release and possibly an unstable
(beta) version.  It seems like there may be different criteria for
promoting a release to "stable" and they depend on the software version.

A bugfix release that's old (a week? several days?) and hasn't had any new
bugs reported rates a promotion to stable.  This can be done by moving
files on SourceForge and doesn't require a rebuild.

When there are significant new features involved, the test period (such as
we just had for 0.10.2) is likely to be longer with a number of bugfix
releases (for the new features).  After the new feature reaches stability,
it's time to promote the version to stable (with appropriate version number
change).

This last procedure is, more or less, what guided me with 0.10.2.  We had
several significant new features - mime processing, html comments, database
locking, etc - and it took 5 bugfix releases (over 2 weeks) before things
were reasonably stable.  Given the desire to have an "official, stable
release" containing those features, the time from last bugfix to stable was
shorter rather than longer (roughly 2 days).

To summarize:  The next bugfix release will be 0.10.2.1.  The next minor
release will be 0.10.3.  The next major release will be 0.11.0

>(Permission is granted to forward this mail to bogofilter-dev for open
>discussion if needed.)

All interested parties are invited to join in the discussion ...