ext3 + db = slooooow

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Fri Jan 31 19:03:05 CET 2003

On 20030131 (Fri) at 1831:11 +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 12:04:30PM -0500, Greg Louis wrote:
> > Shoulda thought of that long since :(  If I build that spamlist.db on a
> > machine with an ext2 partition instead of my notebook's ext3, it takes
> > about 3 minutes instead of thirteen
>
> Notebook hard-disks are much slower than desktop-harddisks, iirc.
> (smaller, less RpM).
>                 cu andreas

That's true, and I'd be the first to agree that _this_ notebook's hard
disk is very noticeably sluggish!  However, I've now run the job on the
same partition on the same machine (not the notebook), mounted as ext2
and mounted as ext3; as ext2 it takes three minutes, as ext3 fourteen.
(10,000rpm SCSI but 400MHz PII / 128 Mb RAM)

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   finger greg at bgl.nu |