ext3 + db = slooooow

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Fri Jan 31 18:50:03 CET 2003

On 20030131 (Fri) at 1213:13 -0500, David Relson wrote:
> At 12:04 PM 1/31/03, Greg Louis wrote:
>
> >I suspect I need to mount the ext3 partition for this job with
> >different options from the default.  Will go read up on that again.
> >Very sorry for all the wasted time (and rather relieved that it's not
> >really an intrinsic bogofilter problem).
>
> And the bad news is:
>
> /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
>
> and my cpu only has 500MHz, not the 733 or 1100 you've got.  Possibly the
> SCSI drive helps.

Yeah, but building the db with bogoutil is no comparison -- takes me 13
minutes to load from spam_corpus and eight seconds to load from a text
dump.

Well, I'm trying it now on an even slower machine with ext3/SCSI, also
ordered data mode, and we're over five minutes and counting... took
just under 3 minutes to the point where it prints the word and message
counts... finished now, fourteen minutes twenty seconds.

> Evidentally journaling isn't the _whole_ answer to the problem.  It may be
> a factor.  I dunno.

I will now unmount that ext3 partition and remount it as ext2 and do
the job over... three minutes nineteen seconds.  It sure does seem it's
a factor.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   finger greg at bgl.nu |