ext3 + db = slooooow

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Fri Jan 31 18:04:30 CET 2003

Shoulda thought of that long since :(  If I build that spamlist.db on a
machine with an ext2 partition instead of my notebook's ext3, it takes
about 3 minutes instead of thirteen, even though the CPU on that
machine is 733MHz not 1100 and it has half the RAM of my notebook.
I've often heard that for some things journalling fs's really slow you
down, but this is the first time I've been in such a situation.

I suspect I need to mount the ext3 partition for this job with
different options from the default.  Will go read up on that again.
Very sorry for all the wasted time (and rather relieved that it's not
really an intrinsic bogofilter problem).

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   finger greg at bgl.nu |