I'm back. Unfortunately I'm not much liking what I see!

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jan 21 12:57:12 CET 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> I picked up a way to beat a sneaky spammer trick at Paul Graham's
> conference on Friday.  I want to merge it in -- but I can't get
> bogofilter 0.10.0 to build under Linux (Red Hat 8,0 on an i386)!
> esr at snark:~/WWW/bogofilter$ configure
> ./configure: line 1284: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE: command not found

I believe you checked out the code from CVS, because the tarball from
sourceforge builds nicely on SuSE 8.1.

> esr at snark:~/WWW/bogofilter$ autoconf
> configure.ac:5: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> esr at snark:~/WWW/bogofilter$ automake
> configure.ac:5: no proper implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found,
> configure.ac:5: probably because aclocal.m4 is missing...

> This is bogus.  it looks like the build is completely broken.  The
> generic installation instructions are useless.

The generic installation instructions pertain to what "make dist" leaves
behind in bogofilter-$(VERSION).tar.gz, not to the CVS code. I'm adding
a pointer to README.cvs to the top of INSTALL, and moving the README.cvs
back up to the top level.

All this looks like you tried to build from CVS, but "aclocal" was not
run as part of the bootstrap procedure.

I have just committed some code to allow autoconf 2.53 to bootstrap the
code (we used to depend on autoconf 2.55 which does ship with neither
Red Hat 8.0 nor with SuSE 8.1, but I moved the only reason to require
2.55 into acinclude.m4).

You will need autoconf 2.53 and automake 1.6 or newer and then run:

autoreconf -f -i -s         # omitting the -s is safe

That's force, install-missing, symlink.

If you're curious what it runs and in what order (you will see it runs
aclocal early), add -v (verbose).

If you want to set up configure and thereabouts manually, you'll
probably need to do this:

aclocal
autoconf
autoheader
automake -a

> What have you done to my code? :-(

Please try the current CVS code with the autoreconf approach described
above, if it doesn't work for you, let me know, I consider myself
responsible for tying the build process together. Note however recent
bugfixes seem to have obsoleted the test reference data, so all tests in
tests/bogofilter are currently failing. I believe David Relson and Gyepi
Sam will fix this shortly and without further notice.