nan

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Jan 7 05:07:41 CET 2003

At 10:43 PM 1/6/03, Clint Adams wrote:

> > Ad 1) Is HP-PA floating point IEEE conformant?
>
>Should be.  Will I need '-mieee' on Alpha?
>
> >       Do we need floating point tests?
>
>I don't think that could hurt.
>
> > Ad 2) Should we switch to something else like Perl 5.6 or Python 2.1 for
> >       the tests? I'd bet the shells have made up for half of the worries
> >       we've had with the tests.
>
>Seems like an unnecessary requirement to me.

Clint and Matthias,

The tests have been a mixed blessing.  Their interaction with the shell has
been a pain that you, Matthias, have dealt with.  I thank you for
that.  They have also revealed a variety of portability problems in
bogofilter.  qsort on FreeBSD and floating point on hp-ux (risc) are the
two that come to mind.  At the moment, I think we're at #3 - with parisc
and Linux being involved.

I agree with Clint about Perl and Python.  They're great tools, but a bit
much for this use, i.e. running the regression test.