DB corruption within minutes

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Tue Jan 7 03:56:58 CET 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 09:24:43PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> At 04:40 PM 1/6/03, Gyepi SAM wrote:
> What's the real problem here?  That BerkeleyDB doesn't have real locks
> unless transactions are used?  That Linux has a lock problem?  Something
> else?

I don't know.

> Could bogofilter use an external lock file of some sort?  Would this help
> or would it create even more trouble and complication?

Sure, if the problem is with locking the db files.

> >Option 1 is just plain stupid, so we're left with 2.
>
> Given that we are updating/registering multiple words at a time,
> transactions might not be a bad way to go.  We won't need a transaction per
> word, just a transaction per message.  The overhead seems reasonablee.

Yes, it would have to be a transaction per message.

The problem with going that route, as discussed previously, is that we'd
require BDB 4.0x. At this point, I'd rather force everyone to upgrade than
use a version whose use leads to data corruption.

-Gyepi