specification of wordlist directory

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Dec 24 16:35:44 CET 2002

At 10:24 AM 12/24/02, Gyepi SAM wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 08:47:58AM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> > For updating the system wordlists, the sys admin could (should) give
> > bogofilter exactly one directory.  "bogofilter -d directory -C" (which
> > doesn't read a config file) would do the task or "bogofilter -c
> configfile"
> > (which reads only the named config file) would also work.
> >
> > Conclusion:  when writing wordlists use the last path encountered during
> > bogofilter startup.
>
>This is all very complicated. How about a simpler idea:
>bogofilter uses a single primary directory for its wordlists. This is what
>happens now, except we don't call it that. Additional, secondary, directories
>can be added, either in a config file or the commandline. The key is that
>secondary directories are always considered readonly. All write operations
>are performed to the primary databases. This makes sense in the context of
>shared system-wide databases: in order to update the system databases, the
>sysadmin must specify their directory as the primary. For everyone else,
>the system directories are  secondary.

Gyepi,

Good!  How does bogofilter know primary from secondary?

Since bogofilter reads /etc/bogofilter.cf (system config file) before
reading ~/.bogofilter.cf (user config file), it seems that the directory to
update should be the last seen.

Are you thinking that an environment variable _must_ be set?  I've been
thinking that the environment is optional as the command line or config
file can provide the directory.