FreeBSD sh not the only b0rked shell (was: checked CVS code tagged)

Clint Adams clint at zsh.org
Tue Nov 26 02:52:39 CET 2002

> The list of shells that violate IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 is: bash (some
> versions/OS), FreeBSD sh aka ash, pdksh, Solaris ksh.

Here are some more data.

% set +x ; for i in =bash =dash =ksh =posh =zsh ; do echo $i: ; $i -e -c 'BONK= ; unset BONK ; unset BONK ; echo in $?' ; echo out $? ; done
/bin/bash:
in 0
out 0
/bin/dash:
in 0
out 0
/usr/bin/ksh:
out 1
/bin/posh:
out 1
/usr/bin/zsh:
out 1

% set +x ; for i in =bash =dash =ksh =posh =zsh ; do echo $i: ; $i -c 'BONK= ; unset BONK ; unset BONK ; echo in $?' ; echo out $? ; done
/bin/bash:
in 0
out 0
/bin/dash:
in 0
out 0
/usr/bin/ksh:
in 1
out 0
/bin/posh:
in 1
out 0
/usr/bin/zsh:
in 1
out 0

% dpkg -l bash dash pdksh posh zsh
ii  bash           2.05b-3        The GNU Bourne Again SHell
ii  dash           0.4.1          The Debian Almquist Shell
ii  pdksh          5.2.14-7       A public domain version of the Korn shell
ii  posh           0.2.14         Policy-compliant Ordinary SHell
ii  zsh            4.0.6-13       A shell with lots of features.

> I filed bug reports against GNU bash, FreeBSD sh, pdksh. I don't care
> for zsh, it's too broken to bother with that anyways. I should file a

I'm willing to bet that zsh has better POSIX compliance than bash right
now.  You must mean some other breakage.