HEADS-UP: bogofilter-0_8_0.rc1 regression fixes

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Nov 6 11:35:20 CET 2002

Allyn Fratkin <allyn at fratkin.com> writes:

> a new hp-ux issue has cropped up: now hp-ux make flags an error in the
> Makefile: Must be a separator on rules line 796.  Stop.
> gnu make works fine to compile, though, so it may be something weird with
> the hp-ux make.

Looking at README.hp-ux, it seems you made some progress in the
analysis:

  There is an issue in the Makefile that requires a change if using the
  HP-UX version of the make utility.  At approximately line 781 is a
  line that looks like this:

  CFLAGS ?= -g -Os -Wall

  This line must be deleted before HP-UX's make utility will properly
  process the Makefile.

I checked that BSD make understands this syntax before making the
change, but I forgot try Solaris' make -- from a quick glance at its man
page, it'd probably have barfed, too.

For the 0.8.0 branch, I'm just removing this offending line, so
packagers (we!) will have to add proper optimization flags to get fast
code. The simplest should be CFLAGS=-O ./configure ... :-) README.hp-ux
will be stripped down appropriately. We can add other option magic to
configure.in on the main trunk later, I'll grab Leafnode code (MIT-style
license) to do that and give us a good set of warning options so gcc
becomes a pedant and a real pain in the *ss. -Wall is NOT
sufficient... -O -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes is
going to be a start with gcc. :-)

As to the ANSI C issue: I have access to an Agilent Logic Analyzer that
runs HP-UX 10.20 and that shipped with /opt/ansic/* populated, I used
/opt/ansic/bin/cc to compile Postfix. Does not ansic ship with HP-UX by
default? Was it removed for HP-UX 11?