0.7.6? how about 0.8.0?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Oct 27 05:39:02 CET 2002

At 12:17 AM 10/27/02, Graham Wilson wrote:

>On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 01:41:52PM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> > Another feature worthy of a 0.1 increase is the ability to run
> > bogofilter as a daemon (with memeory mapped wordlists).  That should
> > help performance significantly for large sites and for people running
> > bogofilter with large test data sets.  Again, I won't say "daemon" is
> > the same as 1.0.  We'll add it in when we have it.
>
>i dont think that neccessarily needs to go into the main binary, unless
>it is only a small amount of additional code. we could always compile
>two binaries: bogofilter and bogod (or something like that).

Graham,

What I have in mind is to have the main binary running as a daemon.  When
procmail (or other program) needs a new instance of bogofilter, a small
front end program is loaded that passes the email to the daemon.  The small
size of the front end would be the first time/space savings.  The daemon
would (should) have the wordlists in memory, so bogofilter wouldn't need to
keep opening/closing them.  The wordlists would be a second time/space
savings (likely bigger than the first savings).  Early on in bogofilter's
development, ESR had it running in a similar fashion.  I'd like to find out
whether doing this is beneficial, or not.