enhancement: -v, -vv, and -vvv

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Tue Oct 22 15:29:29 CEST 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:14:27AM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> At 02:54 AM 10/22/02, Allyn Fratkin wrote:
>
> >ok, i learned how to use cvs today.  :-)
>
> It's a very useful tool.  I've been using it for several years and learning
> more as I go.

It's not perfect, but it does a fine job of taking care of the details
so we don't have to.

> In a case like this, I often add a "*0" to deactivate the statement, as in:
>
> -  if (verbose > 1)
> +  if (verbose*0 > 1)

I usually use

     if (0 && verbose > 1)

> Gyepi,
>
> This code is yours.  What do you want to do?

I think this change is fine.
Lower level details should only be visible with increased
verbosity. This does become a problem when one is debugging a section and is not interested in the
others, but gets them anyway. One solution I have seen is to use a bitmask for different sections of code:
 general == 1
 lexer == 2
 database == 4
 spamicity = 8

  so specifying a debug flag of 5 means that I am only interested in general and database messages.

-Gyepi