bogofilter -u broken: locking issue

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Oct 10 21:31:23 CEST 2002

At 03:17 PM 10/10/02, Gyepi SAM wrote:

>Absolutely, it would work.
>We could also add a REG_UPDATE type and set the register_type accordingly,
>of course the code later would have to change to
>
>         if register_type == REG_NONE || register_type == REG_UPDATE){...}
>
>so it doesn't really matter one way or the other.
>
>I am generally not happy with how early we open the databases and would
>like to
>delay as mentioned before.

Stepping through the code, setup_lists() is called shortly before
bogofilter().  Bogofilter() calls collect_words() and, right after that, it
needs the lists.  Delaying the call to setup_lists() those few instructions
seems very doable, though the impact seems small.  However, if it makes the
code cleaner ...