random oddities and questions

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Tue Oct 8 07:52:03 CEST 2002

What is populate_stats() for?  It's not called anywhere.

Is there a reason we no longer print the top "interesting" words?  This is
the single most useful debugging tool in there.  It used to appear at
verbose >= 1 .  Presumably the correct action is to add
    if (verbose) print_stats(stats);
after select_indicators() is called.

Are there any remaining objections to logging debug (verbose) data
exclusively to stderr?  There's still a heap of stuff going to stdout,
which makes a real mess.

Multiple wordlists are sort-of working now in my directory.  Just gotta
figure out why the locking code doesn't lock all the lists.

I notice that open_wordlist() is being called outside the locking.  Is
that bad?  I don't know if db_open() and db_init() are doing anything that
needs locking.  I almost think that locking should take place before
touching the files at all; an open db handle is an invitation to touch the
database.