rpm build problem - gz vs bz2

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Oct 7 00:59:40 CEST 2002

On Sun, 06 Oct 2002, Gyepi SAM wrote:

> > 	+%{_mandir}/man1/bogofilter.1*
>
> which allows all the different systems to coexist. One may even modify the line that gzips to test
> for the existence of gzip first.

I've seen bogofilter.1 and bogofilter.1.gz included in that case, so I'm
not in favor of this, but I'll accept the current solution for now
because I don't have a better idea at the moment. It makes RPM a
distro-only tool and may make installing the .tar.gz tarball easier
because that one just works.

Automatic compression of manpages is useless unless the compress scripts
writes a file list that can be used with %files -f. Let's put it this
way: if this beast changes the files I create without adjusting its
%files list, then that's a home-made problem.

OTOH, there is still a base of rpm installations that don't do any
automatic compression -- so we really want this gzip. And if someone
complains that his system has no gzip, I'll happily put that in
Buildprereq: and be done with it.