-e option suggestion with doc update

Boris 'pi' Piwinger 3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at
Sun Oct 6 13:25:21 CEST 2002

Matthias Andree wrote:

> Outline: bogofilter -p -e will exit(0) if the mail is non-spam and drop
> the old-style procmail recipe. Recommended for the current procmail
> recipes, required for maildrop integration via 'xfilter'. No need to
> confuse the user with needless examples.

So basically, I think we need two examples for procmail:

1) Without -p which works just with -u as I wrote yesterday.

2) With -p (-e), where we add the X-Bogosity header (since we have a
change from -h to -n, we can as well change the name of the header now
and forever) and in the next recipe look at this header to file the
mail appropriately.

> Boris, how do I figure in the current procmail recipes that the
> preceding filter has failed? I tried :0e and :0E lines at no avail.

E is if the immediately preceding recipe was not executed. This should
be what is needed. Let's look at an example. The details are in `man
procmailrc`.

> -<programlisting class="procmail">
>     :0fw
> -   | bogofilter -u -p
> +   | bogofilter -u -e -p
>
>     :0:
> -   * ^X-Spam-Status: Yes
> +   * ^X-Spam-Status: Yes, tests=bogofilter
>     spam-bogofilter

I forgot what happens if X-Spam-Status was present before. If it got
replaced, this should work.

I'd also suggest the following recipe in the man pages:

:0HB:
* ? bogofilter -u
spam-bogofilter

which is the shortest you can do with updating.

Another problem with -p: When you get a mail which is miscategorized
by bogofilter and you use -S or -N this will look at the X-Spam-Status
and draw conclusions from this. That is dangerous.

pi