small doc fix

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Thu Oct 3 23:30:17 CEST 2002

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 05:00:12PM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> At 04:52 PM 10/3/02, Clint Adams wrote:
> > > Looking at the code, most of the verbosity controlled output is to
> > standard
> > > error.  I'd like to see it go to standard output.  I think standard error
> > > should be reserved for error conditions.  I am willing to make the needed
> > > code changes.
> >
> >This is a good idea except for -p.
>
> I take this to mean that you don't want debug output going to the same
> destination as the passthrough (message) output.  I actually find that to
> be very useful.  When testing it allows me to easily save debug output
> _with_ the message.

I'd have to agree with Clint; program feedback should never be mixed with
the message.  It's just too easy for bugs or user error to ruin someone's
day.  The correct end-user behavior should be the default.

This is something only developers would want, so maybe you should just add
an undocumented option (--verbose-stdout ?) to get your desired
behavior.