possible message count corruption?

Adrian Otto aotto at aotto.com
Fri Sep 20 01:03:38 CEST 2002

Jeremy,

> Switching to the -dev list...

Thanks :-)

> It has happened again, several times, as my other mail noted.
> I'm not sure how to reproduce it manually since this is just
> what's happening in the regular course of piping our regular
> mail load through it.

First of all, it's clear that the current logging system is not adequate for
serious debugging. We have already discussed methods of improving this, so
I'll make a formal patch for this with the solution we've talked about.

Secondly we may be able to solve this without reproducing it in a test
environment by using more detailed logging.

> Logging all of our *.debug stuff on those servers is not an option due to
> load.  I went ahead and patched our local copy of 0.7.4 to openlog() on
> local6.  I also adding some basic timestamping to the log bogofilter is
> writing when invoked by the MTA.

Can you please send us your config.h file and the "uname -a" output? I'll
start writing the patch I want for the logging. In the mean time, if you can
add a call to syslog() to indicate the value of the count before and after
each call to the increment function, that may shed some light on this.

Thanks,

Adrian