.count files

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Mon Sep 16 22:00:29 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 01:54:31PM -0500, Eric Seppanen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 02:34:23PM -0400, Gyepi SAM wrote:
> > A db file can actually hold multiple named databases, so I was planning
> > to use a single db file for all the
> > lists and their counts.
>
> I'm not sure it would be a good idea to try to unify all the databases
> into one file, because that would make it harder on:
> - users wanting to pull in one or more system-wide database in another
> file
> - users pulling down a giant spam-db from the net and using that in
> addition to their own files.

Given that the various versions of DB3 do not generally create compatible
databases and also given issues of endianess compatibility, I think the second case
should be done by importing a text dump rather than the binary database.  In that
instance, it is less of a problem to unify the databases. Nonetheless, I see your point,
so I say we just unify the list and its count in a single file.

In any case, we should probably support the ability to  dump and import/restore databases.

-Gyepi.