bogotune bugs?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Mar 20 05:17:12 CET 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:47:53 -0500
Greg Louis wrote:

> On 20050320 (Sun) at 0029:12 +0000, Jason Lunz wrote:
> > does bogotune have known bugs? I'm using debian sarge, and I've tried
> > both 0.94.0 and 0.94.1. No matter what I do, it says:
> >
> > [mudd](0) % bogotune -n ham -s spam
> > Calculating initial x value...
> > Error: /home/lunz/.bogofilter/wordlist.db is not a directory.
> > bogotune: cannot find bogofilter directory.
> > You must specify a directory on the command line, in the config file,
> > or by using the BOGOFILTER_DIR or HOME environment variables.
> > Program aborting.
> > Initial x value is 0.541073
> > Too few high-scoring non-spams in this data set.
> > [snip]
>
> Confirmed.  It's the calculation of x that's b0rken, and this is a bug
> formerly squashed and now resurrected.
>
> > there's lots of other output, but i'm not inclined to trust it or try to
> > figure out what it means if bogotune can't even seem to read the
> > wordlist.
>
> Don't blame you.
>
> > What are the error messages supposed to mean? Of course
> > "/home/lunz/.bogofilter/wordlist.db is not a directory". It's not
> > supposed to be.
>
> Obviously the check that's being made thinks differently.
>
> > I've tried different combinations of using BOGOFILTER_DIR, -d, giving
> > the name of either wordlist.db itself or the directory it's in, and
> > nothing works.
>
> David will have the history and should be able to dig up the fix.  I'm
> not up to reinventing wheels this Saturday evening.

Hi Greg,

I'm not following your thoughts this evening.  Are you referring to the
"Program aborting." message followed by the "Initial x value ..."
message, i.e. bogotune not aborting like it said it would or something
else?

If that's what you meant, I've found a couple of places where error
conditions from set_wordlist_directory() are ignored :-<

If something else, remind me.  Which version are you referring
to as working properly?

Thanks.