simplicity vs safety with complexity

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jan 25 15:02:26 CET 2005

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Third, as messages are added to the database, the logfiles grow rapidly.
>  This causes problems for some users.  Dealing with the logfiles
> requires learning additional Berkeley DB commands such as db_checkpoint
> and db_archive.

Not necessarily. We have bogoutil options to get rid of large log files,
and we have a helper script that dumps an uncompressed tarball to
standard output, for backup/archive purposes, but could also be used
with "tar -C somewhere -xpf -" to copy the database.

> At this point, we need to look forward to bogofilter 1.0 and decide
> which is the preferable default -- old style databases or new style
> databases.  In either case configure's --disable-transactions and
> --enable-transactions options allow a mail admin to select his/her modus
> operandi.

Another alternative which has seen little testing so far is the SQLite
database support. It is slower than Berkeley DB, but also
able to recover from crashes, and it cleans up after itself.