Problems with bogofilter getting stuck

Oded Arbel oded at geek.co.il
Wed Mar 17 00:44:18 CET 2004

HI list

I'm new to this list, so If I'm doing something wrong - please let me know.

I've been using bogofilter for quite sometime with my postfix/cyrus based mail
system and I'm quite a happy user so far.

Today someone tried to send me an email that got stuck - whenever he tried to
send it, he received a response "command time limit exceeded". digging in, I
found that bogofilter - which I use as postfix's content_filter - simply
chokes on that email. its a relaivly big one - with a 300K PDF attachment -
but I've seen it handle much larger emails w/o a problem.

When I try to manually run bogofilter with the email, like this:
cat my.eml | /usr/bin/bogofilter -p -c /var/lib/bogofilter/config
-d /var/lib/bogofilter
I see it gets stuck after it finishes parsing and piping the modified email
back to STDOUT.

I then straced the command to see what it does. it starts pretty well, and
then it does this:

<end of email output here>
write(1, "---MOQ10794787200c61df1724ba4372"...,
52---MOQ10794787200c61df1724ba4372009cb18928007cca--
) = 52
write(1, "\r\n", 2
)                     = 2
close(3)                                = 0
select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {1, 0})     = 0 (Timeout)
select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {1, 0})     = 0 (Timeout)
select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {1, 0})     = 0 (Timeout)
and then it goes on doing selects forever.

looking back over the logs I see that this happens once in a while - its very
rare, someting like once or twice a week, but it does happen with other
emails.

I would be grateful if someone can drop me a hint as to what's going on. if
some once want, I can forward the original email file and/or my config,
dictionary or whatever you think is necessary (but not /etc/shadow ;-)

TIA

--
Oded

::..