option hangling [was: bogofilter-0.92.4 - new current release]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Jul 29 17:06:56 CEST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:05:29 -0500
Karl O. Pinc wrote:

> On 2004.07.29 09:32 David Relson wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Bogofilter-0.92.4 has been released.  Now warns on invalid options
> > (rather than exits).
>
> So it then proceeds to do something unknown?  That sounds like
> a bad idea, particularly in a program that's designed to
> accumulate value in a database.  Unknown operations will degrade
> the ongoing accrued value of the data.

Hi Karl,

Not so.  Ignoring unknown options causes bogofilter to run closer to its
default mode.  The default mode works well, though a properly configured
and tuned installation does even better.

Until this change, bogofilter was warning about invalid config file
options and exiting (with EX_ERROR (3)) for invalid command line
options.  Now the behavior is uniform.

When bogofilter exits and the script running it isn't properly written,
there's a likelihood of losing mail.  There have been two such reports
this month.

If you've got a better way of dealing with the problem, I'm all ears :-)

Regards,